Dunboyne hosted Ratoath in the AFL Round 6 game on Sunday, on a beautiful morning for football.

Both teams had first team players away with the county and Ratoath fielded an inexperienced team with injuries adding to that list of county players away!

The game was 6 minutes old when Dunboyne opened the scoring with a well taken goal. To that point both teams had been tight in defense with players dropping behind the ball and this led to a tight physical game played in good spirits.

Ben McGowan got the second score of the game and Ratoath’s first with a fine point after 15 minutes. Scores were hard to come by and a Conor Rooney free, after 24 minutes, was in response to a Dunboyne point a minute earlier.

Dunboyne closed out the half with a point from play on 27 minutes and two pointed frees on the stroke of half time.

Dunboyne 1-4

Ratoath 0-2

Ratoath brought in Cian Rogers and Enda Cahill at half time – great to see Enda back. Rogers brought more movement to the forwards and showed well.

Daithi McGowan moved to midfield where he too did well. However, scores remained hard to come by. In fact Ratoath only had a Cian Rogers free to count in the second half, while Dunboyne added 4 further points. Ratoath had plenty of chances but a number of poor wides and a couple of balls dropping short were frustrating for the team.

Ryan Kelly came on and added some go forward ball to the team but the lack of scores obviously was the feature.

Dunboyne 1-8

Ratoath 0-3

Ratoath had some good performers. Daragh McPartlin was good in goal – an able replacement for the injured Shane Duffy. Ben Wyer was competitive in the full back line. Ben and Daithi McGowan both showed well and Rogers looked lively when he came in.

For Ratoath: Daragh McPartlin, Ciaran O’Fearraigh, Dara McGill, Ben Wyer, Brian O’Connor, Gavin McGowan, Keith McCabe, Daragh Kelly, Ben McGowan, Jack McGowan, Garret Rooney, Conor Rooney, Brian Daly, Daithi McGowan, Aidan Murray

Subs: Cian Rogers, Enda Cahill, Ryan Kelly, Nathan Dunne